God help thee, poor monkey. - Macbeth

Friday, March 28, 2008

Movie Review: Labyrinth

Ever since I was very young, "Labyrinth" has been one of my favorite movies. In fact, I loved it so much, that I was absolutely thrilled when my dad bought me a tape of "Peter and the Wolf" narrated by David Bowie because I loved him so much as Jareth, the king of the goblins.

For those who haven't seen it, "Labyrinth" is a darkly funny fairy tale about a spoiled teenager, Sarah, who spends all her time in a fantasy world rather than interacting with people her own age. One night, while babysitting her crying baby brother, Toby, she wishes for goblins to come and take the inconsolable infant away. At her words, Toby disappears from his room, and his sister comes face to face with the formidable Goblin King, Jareth. She begs him to return her brother, but he refuses, declaring that "What's said is said." Finally, he relents, telling her that her brother is being kept in the castle at the center of a gigantic, complex labyrinth and gives her 13 hours to solve the labyrinth and find the boy before he becomes a goblin himself. Throughout the rest of the movie, he places in front of her a number of challenges that she is forced to overcome, with the help of a cowardly dwarf named Hoggle, an adorable giant furry beast called Ludo, and Sir Didymus, the fearless, hyperactive foxlike creature who rides on a horseshoed English Sheepdog named Ambrosius.

This movie is amazing for so many reasons. For one thing, you've got a fantastic screenplay written by Monty Python's Terry Jones. For another, you've got a potentially scary story turned into a hilariously whimsical and kid-friendly story by the buffoonish antics of the hapless, muppet-like goblins. Not only that, but the creatures are designed by renowned fairy illustrator Brian Froud, and the special effects are provided by none other than George Lucas. Add to that the direction of Jim Henson (and that absolutely gorgeous cinderella-esque dress that Sarah gets to wear toward the end of the film), and you've got a fantastic movie. Sure, it's campy and VERY 80s, but that's part of its charm.

Let's be honest, though. It's David Bowie who makes the movie. From his irresistibly catchy songs to his flawless portrayal of the mysterious Goblin King, the movie wouldn't be half as good without him. There's something incredibly alluring about the character of Jareth, too, something that I've struggled to put my finger on. As a child, I was absolutely in love with him and found the ball scene to be completely enchanting. I still do, despite the slightly disturbing undertones (not least of which the huge age difference between Bowie and Jennifer Connelly, who plays Sarah). The other day, however, I was watching the movie with my friend who had never seen it, and she said decidedly, "It's because he's so tragic." The more I think about it, the more I realize that she's right. There is a melancholy air to the Goblin King that is quite appealing. However, I am surprised at how many people completely miss this aspect of the character while watching the movie. A great many people only take him at surface level and dismiss him as a jealous, vindictive creature who is in love with Sarah and is motivated by his desire to possess her. This is not what I see at all. In fact, I have never seen Jareth in this way, and I strongly believe that he is not meant to be viewed in this manner. I am undecided on whether or not he was actually in love with Sarah, but I have always seen him as a character who was trying to help Sarah grow up and embrace her life. He didn't want to see her turn into a lonely person like him, surrounded by people but never a part of the group, so he devised a plan to help her discover the values of friendship. While he may have appeared angry and threatening, it was merely because she was still so childlike and wrapped up in the fantasy world of the labyrinth. All his challenges helped her find faith in herself and discover the kind of person that she wanted to be.

If you haven't seen "Labyrinth", I strongly suggest checking it out. It is terribly entertaining and appeals to the child within us all. Even if you have seen it, watch it again. I guarantee that there's something that you missed (Pay close attention to the objects shown in Sarah's room at the beginning of the movie. You might spot some things that look familiar).

7 comments:

Suzy said...

"you've got a potentially scary story turned into a hilariously whimsical and kid-friendly story"???

As the mother of the child who shall go unnamed, who was absolutely terrified when the Muppets pulled off their own heads and began playing catch with them, well, I beg to differ.

Ah, but that child grew up, didn't she?

I love Labyrinth too, my dear. That's why I showed it to you. I didn't think you'd find it so scary ...

Suzy said...

And, beeteedub, another thing that makes it charming is that it predates the oh so sophisticated CGI animation we're used to today, and much of the fantasy was created with sets, puppets and good old "trick photography." I love the M.C. Escher-like scene at the end. I really think it pays homage to classics like The Wizard of Oz.

Cinderbelle said...

Actually, the camera specifically focuses on "The Wizard of Oz" on Sarah's bookshelf at the beginning of the movie, and the entire movie is pretty much an inverted version of that story.

The other thing is that "Labyrinth" didn't pre-date CGI. They pretty much STARTED it. The white owl is the first CGI animal used in a movie. So I guess you could blame George Lucas for that one, mom.

Suzy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzy said...

WhatEVER, little miss sunshine! You still cried when the monsters took their heads off. And you're not too big to put on a time-out as soon as you get home. Nyah nyah.

Cinderbelle said...

Aww, my mom is so mature! She doesn't act like her kindergarteners AT ALL. :-P

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.