God help thee, poor monkey. - Macbeth

Friday, December 11, 2009

A Sob-Inducer

My best friend sent me this video today. She told me to watch it if I was in the mood to cry. I was feeling pretty content and not at all teary, so I figured I'd be fine. Oh how wrong I was. This is an example of exceptional filmmaking. With mostly images and limited words, I was reduced to tears in a matter of minutes. This is a perfect example of film as an art form rather than as a source of entertainment. It resonates deep within and connects with our own personal experiences to create an intense emotional reaction. But at the same time, its message is easily accessible. Despite being a lover of film, I'm not a huge fan of experimental films that are way off the grid and incredibly bizarre. I appreciate the value of movies like that, but I prefer to watch something that tells a story, something that I connect with. It's why I still have an appreciation for crappy, clichéd movies. They're perfect for curling up on a horrible day and just zoning out and immersing yourself in the story. Now, this clip is not that kind of movie. Not by a long shot. But it is something that I think most of us can relate to, and it's portrayed in a way that is beautiful and haunting. Think "Marley & Me" meets art cinema. So, I hope you enjoy this clip as much as I did. Make sure you have a supply of tissues close at hand. You're going to need it.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

CCinderbelle, see? Life IS all puppies.