God help thee, poor monkey. - Macbeth

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Warning: DO NOT see this movie!!


Okay, I will admit that I have not actually SEEN the movie "The Seeker" nor do I intend to. I have, however, seen the trailer (it made me cry), and I LOVE the book "The Dark is Rising" on which the movie was based. When I first discovered that they were making a movie of it, I screamed. Literally. Ask my parents. You see, "The Dark is Rising" was one of the books on my list of movies that I would like to make. It would make a FANTASTIC movie if done well. It is a marvelous story. So, although I was upset that someone else had beat me to it, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. I mean, sure, it looked like yet another stale, packaged Hollywood fantasy movie, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, I was right. The trailer made me cry, as I mentioned before. I mean, they made Will Stanton AMERICAN! When the whole story is based on Welsh mythology! The outcries of angry fans resounded across the IMDB message boards. Also (spoiler alert) his brothers are terribly mean to him. Not the case in the book. Will's family is supposed to be loving and supportive. Now, normally I don't put much stock in movie reviews, but when 82% of reviewers say this movie sucked and the average movie goers (from die-hard "Dark is Rising" fans to those who have never even heard of the books) agree...well, the information is in front of you, folks.

I might be able to cut the movie some slack if the filmmakers even cared a TINY BIT about the story. However, the director, David L. Cunningham, has said that he doesn't even think the books provide good movie material and that he doesn't, in fact, even like fantasy movies OR movies for children. So why on Earth did he decide to turn this wonderful, classic story into one of the worst examples of children's fantasy film? Not only that but Ian McShane who played Merriman Lyon, the mentor character, didn't even WANT the role. Please explain to me why a director who doesn't like the material and an actor who dislikes his character decided to go ahead and make this movie anyway. It all translates into money, and it is disgusting.

So, let's recap. Unenthusiastic crew and cast. Doesn't follow the story remotely (not only are important characters changed. Some very important characters are reportedly missing from the movie entirely). Lots of plot holes (according to just about every review I've read). This movie makes the 4th Harry Potter movie look good, and that's pretty hard to do.

2 comments:

Suzy said...

Obviously, children's literature is a cash cow, and for some reason the directors and the screenwriters think that they can only improve on material that has been around for 25, 30, 50+ years. The sad thing is, kids see the movie and it doesn't necessarily make them want to read the book.

And I have to say, this series is truly one of my favorites. I think I like The Grey King the best. The Welsh countryside is so compelling. And the little dog. I like little Welsh dogs.

Could Judi Dench play Sam Vimes?

BTW, you cat is feverishly looking for pipecleaners and chewing on plastic.

Cinderbelle said...

The thing is, it could've made such a GREAT movie if it were done well. Sigh. I will wait. I will wait until the rights are available again and then I will make it as it SHOULD be.

BTW, she's not my cat. She hates me now, remember?