God help thee, poor monkey. - Macbeth

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Billy Wilder

So one of the classes that I'm taking this semester is a class examining the works of film director Billy Wilder. Now, when I signed up for the class, I had no idea who Billy Wilder was. It just sounded like an interesting class. When I told my mom, though, she said, "Isn't he the guy who directed Some Like It Hot?" THAT got me even more excited. I watched Some Like It Hot with my best friend several years ago because I'm a Jack Lemmon fan, and I thought it was hilarious. In fact, according to the American Film Institute, it's the #1 comedy of all time. Billy Wilder is incredibly good at writing witty dialogue.

Not only is his writing funny, though, he himself was very funny in person. We watched a film called "Billy Wilder Speaks," where his friend and fellow director Volker Schlöndorff set up a camera and interviewed him at his office for two weeks. It's not a very professional interview, which in a way is good because it gives you an idea of what he was really like. In the video, he was very honest and relaxed, never too insulting about the actors he worked with, but also never patronizing. I wish I'd had the sense to copy down some of the things he said, because he made me laugh pretty hard. However, I do have some quotes from imdb, so here they are. Enjoy! (and check out his movies).

"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist."

"It was a very tiny little thing. All of his theories were based on the analysis of very short people!" (Upon seeing Sigmund Freud's therapy couch)

"They say Wilder is out of touch with his times. Frankly, I regard it as a compliment. Who the hell wants to be in touch with these times?"

"A director must be a policeman, a midwife, a psychoanalyst, a sycophant, and a bastard."

"Breasts like granite and a brain like swiss cheese." (On Marilyn Monroe)

"Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else's."

"France is the only country where the money falls apart and you can't tear the toilet paper."

6 comments:

Ed said...

Now I know what to reserve at the library. Thanks!

Cinderbelle said...

No problem! I would also suggest checking out Mauvaise Graine, which is his earliest film. It's in French, and it's really good. We watched it today.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

He also did Sunset Boulevard.

Cinderbelle said...

That he did. He was a truly amazing man.

André said...

Billy Wilder is one of the best screenwriters ever, and a great director too. Is on top at screwball, other romantic comedies and, don't forget, film-noir. I love cinema, and I bumpped into your blog, and let me tell you, I have 26 and watch a lot of movies since I was 5... you've got to know better european cinema (just an advise): Bergman, Antonioni, Fellini, Truffault, Godard, Buñuel, César Monteiro, Almodover, Lars Von Trier, and many other. Believe me it opens your mind a lot. Ex: don't forget that many american directors in the 60's (when hollywood wasn't so good) were influenced by the "nouvelle vague". I'm sorry about the language, but i'm portuguese. :)

Cinderbelle said...

You're right, my range of movies is incredibly Hollywood oriented. Although I don't review every movie I watch, it is really hard to get ahold of good foreign film without going out of your way and putting forth a lot of effort. The American film system is incredibly flawed. Luckily, I am taking a World Film History class, so I'll be exposed to a lot of different styles. If you have any suggestions for good movies, I am very open to hearing them. I'm always looking to expand my horizons. Thanks for reading my blog!