God help thee, poor monkey. - Macbeth

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Nobody's Funnier Than the Marx Brothers!

How true, how true. Originally, I was going to do a review of the movie I watched in my Billy Wilder class, "Ninotchka," but it reminded me of the Marx Brothers, which caused me to crave their humor. So, an hour before the library closed, I took the shuttle down and rented two Marx Brothers movies. No matter how many times I watch them, the jokes never get old, and I've been watching them since I was about five years old. I loved the Marx Brothers when I was little, especially Harpo. His unique form of comedy, a blend of charades and slapstick (with a lot of wordplay thrown in), mixed with the fact that he was always the underdog made me grow to love him, so much that for a while I had an invisible friend named "Harpo."

The reason Harpo appealed to me as a child was that he was funny but intelligent. I never watched the Three Stooges, and once I finally saw one of their movies, I found them to be dull and repetitive. They were nothing compared to the Marx Brothers. The reason I compare them to Harpo is that out of the three brothers, his humor was the most stoogelike. There was slapstick and people getting hit over the head with hammers and all of that, but it was used in moderation and was mixed with a highly intelligent miming act that involved a lot of wordplay (example: he mimed the words "Bee" and "Twist" to communicate the name "Beatrice" to his brother, Chico). This was appealing to the my younger self because I could understand it. Most of Groucho's jokes went over my head, and Chico mostly interacts with the other two. His comedy comes from his interaction with other people rather than a solo act like his brothers. Granted, none of them would be as funny without the other two, but since Chico is a fast talker, he needs someone to play off of.

I think it is sad how few people these days have even heard of the Marx Brothers, specifically people in my generation. They were comic geniuses. They had trademark gags that were used in every movie, but their jokes were fresh and never got old. It wasn't like they did the same thing over and over again. Sure, the storylines of their movies were pretty formulaic, but the story wasn't the part that mattered. What mattered was the humor that the brothers brought to the film. So much in our culture has been affected by the Marx Brothers, and very few youngsters know the origins. For example, those plastic Groucho glasses, with the giant nose and the thick black eyebrows and moustache. Every child and young adult has seen them used somewhere, but none of them know who Groucho is. Or how about some of those famous Groucho quotes? "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know." Classics! Many people know these quotes, but a lot of them couldn't tell you where they're from. Or what about that classic scene from "A Night at the Opera"? You know the one I'm talking about. Chico, Harpo, and Allan Jones have stowed away in Groucho's suitcase, and his tiny room is very crowded. Suddenly, there's a knock on the door. The engineer comes in. More and more people knock on the door, and the tiny room is soon full of crew members, manicure ladies, waiters bearing food, housekeepers, etc. The boat is rocking back and forth, and everyone is being thrown from side to side. Harpo is, of course, managing to use this to climb all over the women. This scene has been imitated in many other films and tv shows. One day I was watching "The Disney Channel" and saw a parody of it on "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody." How much would you bet that none of the young actors had any idea what they were imitating?

One of the wonderful things about the Marx Brothers is that they are timeless. Very few of their jokes are dated. Audiences today find them just as funny as audiences in the 1930s (if they're actually taking the time to watch their movies). Although we've heard similar humor in other things, it's never quite the same. After all, to quote the Aaron Sorkin show "Studio 60", "Nobody's funnier than the Marx Brothers." It's true. No matter how much people try, they cannot capture the quirky charm that those men had. You can repeat their jokes, but they're not quite as funny without the personalities, are they?

The other thing that I love about Marx Brothers movies is that they truly are great family films. My parents were very wise in showing those films to me as I was growing up. Now, when I say that they're family films, I'm not referring to the bright, sugar-coated "family films" that you see today. Those are children's films, and are very rarely engaging to the parents. No, the Marx Brothers are true family films, meaning they appeal to people of all ages. Adults can enjoy Groucho's wit, sarcasm, and innuendo while their children laugh at the antics of Harpo and Chico. The best part is that Groucho's jokes, while adult, are subtle enough to go right over the children's heads. So while the meaning of the joke may be inappropriate for young people, it is so veiled in innuendo that there is no way that they will figure it out. This way, parents can enjoy side splitting adult humor without having to struggle to find a time when the kids are in bed. How often do you find a movie like that?

I'm almost done, but I'd just like to mention something about the music. As I said, Marx Brothers movies are intelligent. They always involve some sort of musical number, often sung by the male romantic lead, but there is always that part of the movie where Chico plays the piano and Harpo plays the harp. Now, when Chico plays, it is fun and energetic. He never took piano lessons seriously, so while he is incredibly talented, playing piano is something of a joke to him. His form is terrible but very fun to watch, and it is more of a spectacle than a showcase of an amazing piano piece. My favorite part, though, is when Harpo sits down to play the harp. Even as a child, I loved this part. I think it's because Harpo is such a clownish character that it's nice to see him being serious for a few minutes. It grounds him in reality and shows the viewers his humanity. You see, Harpo was always the music lover of the family, but Chico was the one who got to take piano lessons. So Harpo taught himself to play the harp and became incredibly good at it. Whereas Chico's piano playing is sort of a continuation of the humor in the film, Harpo's harp solos are beautiful and moving. He is concentrating intently, and you can see in his face how much he loves playing. It's enough to bring tears to your eyes, and it's a nice little break from laughing so much. A Marx Brothers movie without Harpo playing the harp is no good. (As a side note, never watch "Room Service." I thought it would be good because it was a Marx Brothers movie with Lucille Ball, but it was terrible. She wasn't given any funny lines, and none of the Marx Brothers' regular gags were used in the movie. They didn't even play any music!!)

So if you want a good, family friendly laugh, go rent a Marx Brothers' movie. I would especially recommend "A Night at the Opera", "A Day at the Races", and "Horse Feathers." Also, if you want a really funny one with almost no plot but a lot of great jokes, watch "Monkey Business." It'll crack you up.

7 comments:

Suzy said...

Actually, you were about one when you started watching Marx Bros. films. And when you were around two, you'd push empty swings at the park and say you were pushing Harpo. And when you were three you saw that scene (which movie?) where Harpo keeps getting up from the table, and you would laugh uproariously and say, "Harpo did this!" and then you'd do a fairly accurate impersonation before collapsing on the floor in mirth.

They ARE great family movies. So are the Beatles movies, which I think also borrowed a bit from the Marx Brothers.

Your grandparents would be delighted at this post.

Love you.

Cinderbelle said...

You're mixing us up. GRACE was the one who could imitate that Harpo scene. Gosh, mom. And which grandparents were you referring to?

Suzy said...

Oh, well ... chalk it up to residual sleep deprivation from a child who NEVER slept (and still doesn't from the looks of when you do most of your posting!)
I mean your maternal grandparents. I don't think your paternal grandparents cared much for the Marx Brothers.

Cinderbelle said...

I sleep. I go to bed at 4 and sleep in until 3. :-P That's my weekend schedule.

Erynn said...

The Marx Bros are incredibly awesome. They're what developed my sense of humour from when I was really little. I think I have to agree with every single thing you said in your post. Haha. :)

Yeah, my brother had the Sweet Life of Zach and Cody on once and I came in just at that scene and could NOT stop laughing, thinking of the Marx Bros.

The really great thing about them was that me and my brother could both laugh at it from when we were really young, and continue laughing at it for more and more reasons as we grew up. And even though me and my dad are the ones that find them the most funny, even my mom can be coaxed to laugh at some of the jokes.

And it NEVER gets old!

Anonymous said...

Two very quick comments, as I'm simply passing though the site whilst clipping data for a piece I'm writing. First off, it's great to see that young students are still open to the work of the Marx brothers. Whilst it can be said that the viewing of many comedy shows and movies from today's pallet, will give the fruit of the Marx brothers (after all how many writers today can say that the works of both the Marx brothers and Woody Allen, have not made texture on their own work), it's till you've seen the seed of their work can you enjoy the multi layered taste of humor they provide (and will continue to provide for a time to come).

Next, it's great to see that someone is already pull reference from the show 'Studio 60'. This was another fine example of the multi layered, character driven work that we know and love Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme for. A sure hit had it been given the room to grow that The West Wing had. Only one real culprit on that case '30 Rock' and percentage viewing poles (1000 people on pole does not give reflection to the number of West Wing AND SNL fans who tuned in.

This has gone on a little too long I feel, sorry but once I get started it's a little hard to stop me.

Cinderbelle said...

Studio 60 was an amazing show. I was very upset when it got cut. It was funny, smart, and never got overdramatic without making fun of its own melodrama. Aaron Sorkin is a comic genius.