God help thee, poor monkey. - Macbeth

Monday, January 21, 2008

Oh God, I'm turning into my mother!!

Since this weekend was Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, a lot of people went home to visit their families. My group of friends consists of me and two other girls and about ten guys. Both the girls went home for the weekend, so I was left all by my lonesome with the boys. It wasn't so bad, although I wouldn't necessarily call it exciting. My weekend consisted of watching Star Wars, watching the boys play Halo, and watching the boys compete in a Guitar Hero tournament. Since there were less people around, I ended up getting a lot closer with the boys who were still in the dorm. I also realized that my mothering instinct is starting to show. One of the guys has a really bad cold. He didn't have any cough drops, and he was drinking hot water to try and soothe his throat. I, of course, have a full supply of tea, honey, kleenex, and cough drops in my room, which I readily offered up to him. At least he made the tea himself. It makes me feel somewhat less motherly. Also, this weekend the guys learned that I make a lot of jewelry, and one of them asked me to make him a watch. (For those who don't understand, you buy a watch face and then make a band to match) I told him I would be happy to. Today, I thought of how my mom is always making things for people. The only difference is, she knits and I make jewelry and do metalwork. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that I'm turning into the "mother" of my friends. I don't mind so much. I like taking care of people. I just think it's funny how these things turn out.

4 comments:

Suzy said...

OK, I'm crying again, just like in that picture ... Is it mothering, or is it just being a decent human being? Or are they synonymous? I'm very proud of you. You know what things are important.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Why are you punching your mother and making her cry in that picture?

Cinderbelle said...

I'm not punching her, I'm hugging her. And she's crying because she's an emotional wreck when it comes to sending me off to college. :-P

poodledoc said...

Turning into your mother wouldn't be bad at all! But I'm happy to see you finding your way. Nice photo, by the way.