God help thee, poor monkey. - Macbeth

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Why I Hate Hamlet and Kenneth Branagh

So last year for our last project in English we had to read the play "Hamlet", watch two movie interpretations, and write an analytic essay about the movies in comparison to the play and one another. Now, the essay part didn't bug me at all. I love film analysis essays. The problem was, we had to watch this god-awful 5 hour movie directed by and starring Kenneth Branagh. All the actors were good actors, but the movie was just put together and directed horribly. The actors were either screaming or whispering, the lighting was almost fluorescent, the soundtrack didn't fit the action at all, and Kenneth Branagh was far too charismatic to play Hamlet. Ever since then, I've held a grudge against Kenneth Branagh (despite the fact that I enjoyed "Dead Again"), and even the mention of the play "Hamlet" has made me frustrated. Cut to this year. We were assigned "Hamlet" for my Intro to Drama class. I skimmed it to refresh my memory and turned in the summary that we were assigned. I didn't bother reading the entire thing because I'd already read it twice and watched three film interpretations of it. I got full credit on my summary, and we were going over the play in class when our professor announced that we were going to watch the "closet scene" from three different films. I thought, "Hmm, I'm guessing Mel Gibson, Kenneth Branagh, and Ethan Hawke." I was right. As soon as Branagh's name was announced I started getting frustrated. And when we watched it I wanted to scream. HE'S SO OVERDRAMATIC! It drives me nuts! He's too forceful for Hamlet! Hamlet is supposed to be emo and sulky and indecisive! Grr. So now all of you guys get to hear my angry rant. Lucky you.

7 comments:

Ed said...

Hamlet makes an appearance in one of Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" books. I think you'd enjoy Mr. Fforde's treatment of the character. As you said, all emo and sulky and indecisive. I believe he gets therapy, though.

Suzy said...

I don't need to see Hamlet, after watch the Reduced Shakespeare version. Positively outshines all others, especially the barfing Adam in a dress.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I have not seen his Hamlet but I throughly enjoyed his Henry V and like you I loved him in Dead Again.

Cinderbelle said...

RSC is amazing, of course, but they don't include Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, or Fortenbras, all of whom are important characters. In the RSC version, Denmark is left to Horatio, I guess. Oh well. I love Adam, so I can forgive them for anything. Well, almost anything. That last show we saw by them was not funny. That's unforgivable.

Suzy said...

If you want Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, you can watch "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead."

Here's a quote for you from your sister:

"You need to have the perfect time so you can glow-bask in the chocolateness."

Anonymous said...

Hi Cinderbelle,

I'm trying to stay away from coffee, sugar, white flour and blogs. But I really wanted to see how your life has changed.

This is a nice piece of writing. I very much agree with you about Mr. Branagh. He takes operatic style and tries to paste it onto the big screen. He misses the finest point of film: a clench of the jaw cannot be picked up by TV or in theater. It is a gesture made for real life and film.

Here's what I really like about your writing. You are part of youth culture, and yet you do not resort to empty fixed phrases. You actually swim in the sparkling sea of the English language.

Avanti!

Neal Paradise said...

gotta admit, though; he was pretty great in Harry Potter 2. i hear that his portrayal of Gildedroy Lockhart is almost exactly what he's actually like, though.