God help thee, poor monkey. - Macbeth

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Movie Review: The Shawshank Redemption


So, it turns out that a couple of my friends have never seen "The Shawshank Redemption." The rest of us were shocked, so we all watched it together last night. What a great movie. This was my second time seeing it, and it was just as good as, if not better than, the first time. Seriously, that movie is made of amazing quotes and wonderful acting. As my friend Zack said, "Morgan Freeman is God." (Get it? :-P) But seriously, he's an amazing actor, as is Tim Robbins. They both did a fantastic job in this movie, and the story itself is just phenomenal. (Why does Stephen King waste his time writing horror stories when he could be writing more stuff like this?) It's a heartbreaking movie, especially the whole thing with Tommy Williams. It makes me want to cry every time. And Brooks? (On a random side note, does anyone else think that Brooks looks a little like Hoggle from "Labyrinth", or is it just me?) Anyway, this is probably one of the best movies I've ever seen, and if you haven't seen it, you are seriously missing out. So go out and rent "The Shawshank Redemption." ...Only maybe don't watch it if you're just in the mood for something light and entertaining. This is for one of those times when you want to see something incredible.

6 comments:

Ed said...

Great movie. It's getting old enough now that it's not surprising that many younger people haven't seen it or even heard of it. But what fun for those who are discovering it anew!

Suzy said...

And who got YOU to watch it, Cinders, hmmmm?

Tim Robbins is almost always great (except for that dreadful movie where he played an astronaut.) I recommend The Hudsucker Proxy, Bob Roberts, and Tapeheads (which should be a cult favorite, but I don't think it is.) Show THOSE ones to your friends.

And then, you need to watch Brother From Another Planet, Lone Star, Men With Guns, Matewan ... John Sayles is a master!

Do you think Tim Robbins could be Sam Vimes?

Cinderbelle said...

Um, I believe DAD got me to watch it, actually. :-P

Unknown said...

It appears to be Feeny-Grindrod day for me. Hi everyone. So Anna, I haven't ever seen this movie but I just read about it in one of those "Great Movies" books by that movie critic who used to sit in a canvas director's chair across from another critic, thin long face with the hairline that went waaay back, who died from cancer. That guy. Anyway, I thought I should probably give it a whirl and then I read about it on your blog. So.. next weekend! Shawshank. I wonder if it's too old for Scout? Anyway, thanks.

--Terry

Suzy said...

Terry, there are some pretty brutal prison scenes in Shawshank, but overall, it is such a life-affirming movie. I can't remember what it is rated, but she could probably watch a good portion of it. It also depends on how sensitive she is.

Cinderbelle, I think Dad may have rented the movie, but I'd been telling you to watch it for a l-o-n-g time.

Anonymous said...

good to find someone who is as crazy abt shawshank as me...its my fav...and gr8 findin a movie nerd..hehe...anyways am dijo...dijoe20@yahoo.com...pass on the message if there is any movie really worth watchin...like another shawshank